Tuesday, September 09, 2014

End of Summer Blooms

Well I've had a fairly good weekend and even went to a local regional fair on Sunday.  I didn't take the camera, and to be honest, the fair was rather sparse in entries of livestock, crafts ... everything! When I used to go to our fair in Milton as a kid, there were always lots of livestock being judged.  I wonder if that fair has declined over the years as well.  The lack of entries in the crafts (and particularly knitting) made me think about entering a scarf or something next year.  When I got home I checked out the different categories.  It would be kind of fun to get a ribbon, but I had to laugh that they offered prize money of $3 for first prize in knitting!!  



The weather has been beautiful here in southern Ontario, nice clear blue skies, warm temperatures and a cooling breeze.  Hot in the sunshine, but cool in the shade.  I love it!  There are still a few tough plants hanging in there in my garden, but overall things are drying out despite regular watering.  I guess it's getting a bit too cool overnight to keep them at their best now.  


The Scotch harebells seed themselves down, and although I tried ripping them out one year because they were getting everywhere, I changed my mind when they came up again as they're quite pretty and fairly rugged despite their delicate stems and flowers.  This summer I encouraged them to grow in a spot behind the grasses on the patio side and they've done really well and are so sweet :)

Scotch Harebells
This delicate flower (below) had gotten lost in the front garden, so in a sudden fit of inspiration I transplanted it to my patio garden last week.  I think it's going to do great beside the harebells and will drape nicely over the wall with the tall grasses behind it.


The black-eyed Susans last so long, and I love their sunny faces when so many other flowers have finished.  I had a bunch of daisies growing behind them, but I've finally admitted that I don't really like daisies and will be digging them all out.  The blooms don't last very long, and then within a few short days I'm left with ugly shriveled brown flower heads which I spend too much time snipping off. 


I still have to split the few remaining iris I now have, but I'm just a little worried I've left it too late. I've been quite disappointed that so many of them have rotted into nothing this summer, but hopefully some of them will come back next year.  I would hate to lose them as they are my prize flowers in the springtime!

Along with the black-eyed Susans are the turtleheads, another pretty late blooming flower.  They've done quite well over the years and now in late summer the bees are just swarming over this flower bed (below).



Turtlehead

The grasses around the pond have really filled in well this summer, and now they're finishing up with various beautiful plumes.  They just shimmer in the breezes and sound so nice with the wind rustling through them.  I'd like to get some more grasses next year, but have to think about where I can put them.  Making up my mind about where to place flowers is the biggest challenge I have with gardening.  I'm horrible at making a decision about most things, and I could sit and look at my garden for hours and still not come up with solutions to plant location.



So the gardening season here is coming to an end.  I'm not looking forward to winter this year, and for the first time ever I'm even dreading seeing the leaves change on the trees .... just one step closer.  We have a camping trip coming up to admire the beautiful autumn colours north of us where the trees turn earlier.  Maybe that will help us ease into the short dark days.

Here's a little snippet of what will be awaiting us ...



25 comments:

  1. The black eyed susans are beautiful, and the last two photos of the vivid fall colors are stunningly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy watching the bees squeeze into the turtlehead flowers. Lot of pretty sunlit colours still in your garden and I love the fall scene looking down a road.
    The International Plowing Match is not far from us this year in Ivy. We took a drive by on the weekend and it is huge with lots of tents being set up. I hope to attend for the first time.
    Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful flowers! And as for that prize? $3 doesn't buy much yarn, does it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post - beautiful photos but that last scene is breathtaking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely flowers! Our black-eyed Susans are still going strong too. And like you, I'm not a fan of daisies. The grass is so beautiful. We had lots of it when we lived in Kamloops and I loved watching it when the wind was blowing. I wonder why you're dreading winter so much this year? Maybe you need to think of some fun winter project or something that will give you something to look forward to. Or a flight to Mexico. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! We're expecting frost tonight - NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the memories... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful post-our summer is winding down too-although it is trying to hang on close to 90s here still til end of week. I have been playing in the dye pot-goldenrod, pokeberries, now a tan-brown dye with mostly sassafras and acorns and tomato vines

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures of your late summer garden, Wendy. What awaits you up north is simply magical. I miss it so.

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wendy,You have captured the each moment wonderfully.., I am looking forward to see autumn ones..
    hope you are well, I think we are into couple of more days of rain.. -Gaia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely flowers that you have shared with us - I love the Scotch Harebells. I love something that takes care of itself.... Beautiful fall colors you have to look forward to. Fall is my favorite season. I get to travel to Boston in early Oct. for my nieces wedding and can't wait to see the fall colors. Enjoy this beautiful season. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing all those pretty flowers. I am not looking forward to winter either. I love that picture of fall trees and pretty colors.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of the pretty grasses and we saw a lot of cat tails in the ditches on our trip. And the colors of Fall will be here soon! Enjoy your week my friend! Sweet hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful photos! I don't know if we'll get a lot of fall color here in the California mountains because of the drought. In any case, our autumn is nowhere near as beautiful as yours...too many evergreens and not enough hardwood trees.

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos! Things are just gorgeous in your garden. It's a beautiful time of the year, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful blooms pal!!! Loving your crop of turtlehead!!! And look at what is to come! Just stunning!!! Wishing you all good things this weekend!!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I read your opening sentence I took a little detour to see if we had missed the Brampton Fall Fair. It isn't huge, but I always like going. (I have never been to the fair in Milton and must make a point of going sometime). Anyway... we haven't missed the Brampton fair and may go this weekend if I feel better. I have The Worst Cold of My Life at the moment!
    Your garden is looking good into fall. Like you I take forever to decide where to plant things. Pink Turtlehead is a favourite fall flower of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful, your garden is like a fire work at the moment! And the last picture - fantastic - I'm dreaming away ....!!! Thank you for that beauty!
    All my best from an Austrian gardener
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are way ahead of my Massachusetts area in term of foliage, I am happy to say....too soon! too soon! ;)
    A few days ago I posted a picture of one of my mystery plants - it's the one you call turtlehead! I have a very resilient patch that survived a horrible accident with the snowplow last winter. I'm going to try to move them when they are finished blooming (and the bees are gone) this year. They are such a cheerful splash of color in early Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Following up, thank you for the clue that led me straight to the ID for this plant! I just posted it, and a link to YOUR lovely post, on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Still plenty of flowers in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  21. And thanks to Quinn for leading me to your blog, too. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I've never seen your black-eyed Susans here in Japan. For a minute, I thought it looked like sunflower p:) Beautiful flowers and trees, thank you very much for sharing with us♡♡♡

    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous images..Your flowers are beautiful! The fall trees are just beautiful. I love the view.. Have a great day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fire work in your garden! So beautiful. And thank you so much for the last picture - I love Idian Summer - it's wonderful and seldom to me!
    All my best from an Austrian gardener and happy fall
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  25. $3 huh? Wow! Your garden is incredibly lovely. I'm not looking forward to winter after last year either. I'm trying not to let my fear spoil the lovely fall. ;) Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...