Saturday, December 03, 2016

Winter Project

Today I'm linking up with Jennifer at Thistlebear and her Winter Project Link Party. Thanks for hosting Jennifer! 

I usually have something on the go throughout the winter. At this time of year it's most often a Christmas present. Right now I'm working on two scarves for two of my daycare kids. I'm often in a quandary with the kids because I know they get an absolute ton of gifts at Christmas from parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents (these two kids have 3 sets of grandparents), and friends! I have to keep my gift giving expenses quite low, and have been able to keep each gift at $15 each for many years. It's surprising what you can come up with for $15. A lot of times I'll give a small child a book with a handmade character or two that match up with the story. Last year I made felt animals to go with the book "The Mitten". It was fun to make and well received. 

This year the scarves are going to be given to the older kids. I had to wait until the kids wore their new winter coats so I could see the colours of them. The girl's coat is purple and blue with lime accents. I went with just the purple and blue.


I'm using a simple knit/purl pattern called the Two-Stitch Check. Basically you knit two, purl two all the way across one row. On the return row you purl the knits and knit the purls. It makes a surprisingly pretty pattern that is thick and squishy ... perfect for a cozy scarf. I also did two knit stitches at the beginning and ending of every row to make a slight border. The best part about this pattern is that it's the same on both sides, which is something you want for a scarf.


Since I'm only knitting four rows alternating with each colour, I twisted the yarn not in use up the sides. You can see that in the photo below.


I've decided to use up both the balls of yarn, and that will determine the length of the scarf. I thought I might like to add some pom poms on the ends, but I won't have enough yarn for that. Right now the scarf is 50 inches long. I worried a bit that I made it too wide at 8 1/2 inches, but everyone I ask thinks it's a nice width. The girl who is getting this is as tall as I am, so she's not a tiny thing. The scarf folds over nicely without too much bulk, so I think it'll be okay. 


I'm using acrylic yarn since I don't think the mom would bother to handwash a pure wool scarf for her kids. I prefer wool myself, but this is a fairly nice acrylic, and the colours were perfect for the girl's coat.



The next scarf will be for her brother. His coat is orange and grey. I have the yarn already, and will start on that as soon as I finish the purple & blue. I want to do a two-row alternating colour scheme, but still have to decide on a pattern. It might just be 1 x 1 ribbing to keep it simple and so the scarf will lie flat. However, I really, really hate doing a knit one, purl one pattern ... so much bringing the yarn forward and back! 


Thanks for stopping by during this very busy month!

Wendy
⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

Thistlebear

25 comments:

  1. Scarves to match their coats is a great idea. Definitely much needed and I for one feel handmade is always best. Besides, as you said, they will be getting so much. Keeping it simple from your side is best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy...
    Super looking scarf...and I love the way you described the pattern!
    I picked up some needles yesterday at a thrift shop, and was fiddling around today...refreshing my memory! Haven't knit for over 30 years, but it came back pretty quickly! I have crocheted 2 scarves and 6 cowls as Christmas gifts...perhaps I will borrow your pattern and give it a try!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice colors, I envy knitters, maybe I'll learn someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scarf is really lovely; love the colours and the stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are such wonderful ideas! Handmade gifts are always the best...everyone's favorites! And I like that you've added things to go with books. We've given more books for gifts than anything else. Now you've given me some ideas! Holiday hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous scarf, Wendy. Love the colours blue and purple and the pattern looks so pretty. The orange and brown wools go perfectly together. What lovely gifts. Handmade is always unique, especially when kids these days receive so many presents. I love last year's idea as well. How brilliant to receive a book with a little handmade book character to go with it. These children are very lucky to be in your care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have obviously put so much thought into these Gifts Wendy. The blue and purple scarf looks gorgeous and snugly. I hope they are appreciated... So much nicer that something just store bought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, pretty scarf. I like the blue and purple colors. Great idea for a gift, they are lucky kiddies. Happy Sunday, enjoy your week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. good morning love the linky party theme--and love he scarf-very special since you are making them to match with the coats-enjoy December!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blue and purple pattern reminds me very much of the work of my aunts in knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely things to make as gifts, I am sure they will be loved and enjoyed! xx p.s. I know I owe you an e-mail, bit hectic here, I will get to it! Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, I'm loving the purple and blue combo! Wished that I could knit so I can make my own purple scarves...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so sweet, knitting scarves for your daycare children, and your are even thinking of the mums and chose a yarn that washes easily. Must drop some hints next time I collect my youngest from child care... For your second scarf, try continental knitting for K1 P1, much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a lovely idea Wendy. A pretty pattern too x

    ReplyDelete
  15. How sweet of you to work the scarves around the colors of the coats and they are looking lovely. I'm sure that they will be a hit.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. The blue and purple work so well together, it'll look beautiful against the coat xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The kids will love their scarves Wendy. By the way, thought of you on the weekend when I bought my first leggings - Woohoo, they sure are comfy just as you said.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so thoughtful Wendy the kids are going to love them. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such wonderful colours
    So thoughtful

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Wendy, thanks for joining in with my link party! It's so kind of you to give presents to your daycare kids and handmade ones at that, how special. I love the one you've made so far, those colors are very pretty together. Beautiful stitch too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sure the kids will love these. The scarf has such a lovely texture, it looks very squidgy and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wendy,
    I always enjoy your Winter projects and of course your knitting is always lovely.
    You are such a thoughtful and caring woman, I know that these children and their parents know how blessed they are to have you.
    Your stitches are perfect and the combination of colors are so pretty.
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a beautiful shade of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How very thoughtful you are to knit scarves to match the children's coats. And I completely agree with you about knit one, purl one rib - I can't stand it either. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I love the mixture of the blue and purple yarn. The scarf will look awesome with the lime coat.

    Enjoying seeing what you are up to these days.
    Brenda


    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...