Friday, October 16, 2015

Five on Friday

Joining up with Amy of Love Made My Home and her Five on Friday!

I hope all my Canadian friends had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend! The weather here in southern Ontario was gorgeous! More like summertime than fall. We were even considering having our turkey dinner out on the patio with the high temperatures of 20C! We decided against it since we'd be using the good wedding china and some antique bowls and platters. I'm always afraid of something falling and smashing on the patio bricks.

Thank you all so much for your positive comments on my tea cup coasters! I was overwhelmed with the number of comments, and have had to admit defeat in replying to everyone. I will instead pop by all your blogs to visit you. I think I may have to adopt this more and more in future as my spare time is dwindling, and I have many Christmas crafting obligations lined up. I'd rather be sewing and knitting in my spare time than stuck to the computer screen ... I know many of you are in the same boat, so I hope you'll understand.

Right! On to the five! Five things that have made me happy lately ...

One:  I picked up this little hummingbird figurine a few weeks ago at the thrift store. I did put him back on the shelf at first as I thought it was maybe overpriced at $12. But after I had browsed through the store, I decided, what the heck, I liked it! It was the only thing I bought that day. Sometimes I justify a small expense like this by saying everyone in my family buys their lunch once or twice through the week, and I never do. So why not treat myself to something like this (about the price of a lunch out) once in a while. The rays of sunshine coming into this shot were a bonus, and not noticed until I downloaded the photo.


It's actually a musical figurine, although the musical part doesn't work. It goes well with a couple of other bird figurines I have picked up over the years ...


Two:  Another figurine (for outdoors) my husband bought for me one day in the summertime from our favourite gardening store. They had all kinds of these figurines in birds and animals, but I liked this little saw-whet owl the best. He sat on my patio table all summer long, staring into the kitchen every time I looked outside. Now he's going to spend the winter on my dry sink in the kitchen. Love his golden stare! There was a great grey owl in the garden store later in the summer, but my husband wasn't interested in buying him for me. Great greys are one owl I would love to see in the wild one day!


Three:  This lovely soft scarf arrived in my mail box last week. Isn't it pretty! I love the combination of brown and pink together! This came all the way across the Atlantic Ocean from my good friend Amy. I just love it, and I think today I might, just might, finally be able to wear it. It was only 5C this morning, and I have (gulp!) switched on the furnace. Thank you Amy :)


Four:  This next "five" is for my friend Jemma! Jemma read a while ago that I was saddened that I thought my Mom's amaryllis was no longer blooming. She encouraged me to not give up hope and passed along a website that gave instructions for their care. I set the bulb in a smaller pot and put it aside throughout the summer, but honestly, I thought it was hopeless. That is up until just two weeks ago when I decided to admit defeat and pull the poor bulb from the pot. That's when I saw the tiniest hint of bright green snuggled way down in the bulb. This is how much it has grown since then ...



Unbelievable to me!! Thank you so much Jemma for your encouragement and the link, it seems this flower will bloom again for me afterall ... such a beautiful reminder of my Mom ;)

Five:  A couple of art pieces. This first one is a metal sculpture I picked up at my favourite gift store in Whitney, Ontario, this past summer. The metal is from old oil drums that have been cut and decorated with metal punches by artists in Africa. I really like the patina of the metal, and the sculptures in the store have been one thing I always look for when we visit. I have another sculpture of birds flying. When I saw this frog in the summertime, I decided it would be my one alloted purchase this year.


This next painting is one I did myself when in high school.


And that's my five!

But, hey, don't you love the way the sun shines through
these golden grasses lining my patio right now?



And the fall colours are finally reaching my area ... 
these were taken on our drive home from dropping my daughter back at university town.




Be sure to drop by Amy's to see what others have to share today (link button below).

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, and thanks for stopping by!

Wendy


22 comments:

  1. I love seeing pictures of the land around you. Wonderful light and colours. Well done on the bulb too, I guess I should follow that advice and try to salvage some of mine! Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good bulb doctoring!
    The scarf is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Wendy!!! I love that painting that you did of the corn, so right for this time of year and so pretty! I had no idea that you were an artist as well as everything else! So glad you like the scarf, seems funny to see something that was in my hands all the way over with you now! Well done on your amaryllis, I am so glad that it is growing well, you will soon have another flower on it! Shows that it is worth persevering with those plants doesn't it!!! Thank you - as always my dear! - for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely 5 Wendy, I love your figurines the humming bird goes so well with the others. Thats a very pretty scarf from Amy I bet you can't wait to wear it. It just goes to show that if you give plants the right conditions they perform just the way they should do, I had a similar experience with my African Violet it's flowering it's socks off now, have a great weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Wendy, wonderful post and lovely images. I love your new hummer figurine. It is nice and feels good to treat yourself. I would like to see both the Saw-whe owls and the Great Grey owl someday! The sun shining thru the grasses is a pretty image. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choices. The scarf is so pretty, very autumnal. The owl is adorable and I love the metal sculpture.
    That's so great about your Mother's flower. I don't do well with indoor plants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the scarf, beautiful colours and a great gift. I was also impressed with the beautiful figurine brought in the thrift store, you never know what you are going to find when you go into these places. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved seeing your collection of bird figures. I have a similar hummingbird figurine that was given to me by a dear friend. Your fall photos are so pretty. I wish you a wonderful weekend in your beautiful Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bird figurines are nice, I really like the owl and the scarf from Amy is going to come in handy sooner than later. Possible flurries for us this weekend and although we have our furnace on too, I've not yet brought out my winter coat. I'm thinking about it on my morning walks...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the hummingbird figurine - its beautiful. As is the lovely scarf from Amy. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely figurines but I am so impressed with your Indian corn artwork! It's lovely as are the views these golden autumn days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty scarf! I caved and turned on the furnace at the beginning of the month. Sometimes I justify a purchase at a thrift store by considering it as a "charitable donation". Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love all those bird figurines. That hummingbird is a great buy - it's so pretty (& I'm just partial to hummingbirds) ;) I also adore owls - so love that one too!

    That scarf is so pretty - love the colors too. How cool that Amy did I it - yay Amy!

    And glad you didn't give up on your amaryllis. It looks so beautiful around your neck of the woods. Such a pretty time of year. Happy to hear it was such a lovely Thanksgiving too. Blessings on your weekend my Dear. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice fall photos! I love the figurines, but I have to say my favorite thing in this post was your awesome corn painting! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely five here Wendy. Your painting of the corn is fabulous. And what a lovely gift from Amy - you will think of her whenever you wear that scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Wendy, hope it is a sunny Saturday for you, no white stuff falling from the sky for us today but there was a little bit of frost. I agree with you about answering all the comments, sometimes I just can't do it as there are so many. That is a lovely hummingbird figurine and the scarf looks warm and cozy for today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous to see the Autumn colours in beautiful Ontario Wendy. I love your hummingbird, having seen my first one only this year. They are amazing little birds.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such lovely treasures you found. That little hummingbird piece would be a favourite for me.

    And, yes, I loved to see the sun streaming through the grasses in your garden. Beautiful!

    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS. So pleased to hear the bulb continues to live and bring joy into your world. A special memento of your mom. xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful post - so much to see. Love the birds - and especially the metal sculpture - and the scenery. Just delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, I absolutely do love the way the light is shining through those golden grasses! And your painting is fab - you are talented. As for spending the cost of a lunch out - that's genius, I love it. Hope you have had a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful pictures, Wendy - and that's lovely news about the revitalized bulb!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...