Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Into September

I figured I should do a post this first week of September since "September" is part of my blog's name.

Here in southern Ontario it's heated up to make it feel like the middle of summer again. But the tell-tale signs of autumn won't be reversed, and there are tinges of reds and oranges on some of the older trees and even some of my bushes. The burning bush has a definite haze of red about it now, and it won't be long before the whole bush sets on fire!



My little sensitive plant popped out a couple more blooms ... so delicate! These are tiny, only about 1 cm across, but quite cute.


One flower I'm not quite sure what it wants is the portulaca. I love this bright little flower, and have it in a very hot, dry sunny spot, but I think there is an issue with the soil in this garden (could be when I poured Borax in the garden many years ago), or else there's something making plants sicken from the roots up. A few of the portulacas are showing signs of distress. There are still quite a few blooming, though, and they are such pretty little things that I pick up just a few each year.


Yesterday I had to rescue a poor little chipmunk. It had run across the netting covering the pond (the netting protects the one and only fish in the pond from herons). I just happened to be right there filling up a bird feeder when I noticed him. He was really thrashing around and had got the netting wrapped tightly around his tummy, under his front legs, and his tiny claws were catching in it every time he moved.  I didn't want him to bite me, so I ran inside and grabbed the big leather gloves my son used in his welding class. I got hold of the chipmunk as gently as I could and started snipping away the netting. I think he realized soon enough I was helping him as he stopped struggling and wriggling around so much. I'm pretty sure I got all the netting off his body, but there may have been a tiny bit caught on his paws when he suddenly did a magnificent wriggle and leap and got away from me. Even so, I think he would be able to chew the netting off his paws himself. I sure hope he learned his lesson!

I've not been reading so much lately, although it used to be I would never be without a book on the go! Last summer we visited the McMichael Art Gallery in Kleinburg, Ontario. While there I picked up a couple of books written by the Canadian artist Emily Carr. I really enjoyed the books, and then discovered she had written quite a few. We saw an exhibit of her paintings at the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario) earlier this year, and I was able to find two more of her books. I saved them to read while I was camping ... I always like to have a good book that relates to the wilderness when we camp ;) 


Now I have read these three books, "The Book of Small", "The House of All Sorts" and "Klee Wyck". Of the three, I liked "Klee Wyck" the best.  I then moved on to "Hundreds and Thousands", which is actually her private journals. It was interesting to read about the paintings she was discussing in her journals, and then looking up the painting in a book I have of her artwork (which I purchased when visiting the Emily Carr museum in Victoria).


I absolutely love these books! Her writing is just so relaxed and to the point. She writes about her struggles with her painting styles, her many trips into the giant forests of Vancouver Island and mainland BC, about meeting with the many aboriginals, with the artists in the Group of Seven, and her life in general. I'm not a terribly fast reader, and still have a bit more to go before I finish this last book (although there are still more of her books I will have to look for). If you're interested in Emily Carr's art and life, I would recommend these books, but in particular "Klee Wyck" and "Hundreds and Thousands".

Well I won't be able to do much reading today, and I see the thermometer has been climbing steadily for the past hour ... we're in for another hot one! My daughter will be heading back to university town on Saturday, so she and I have been picking up a few things this week to get her settled for her final year. My son is also in his final year of high school. We're still discussing with him what he could study ... he's finding it hard to choose one thing to move onto though. But we'll get there (hopefully) by January when the applications need to be filed.

I hope you're all enjoying this final week of summer (well, here in Ontario it's the last week of summer as most schools start next Tuesday). 

Thanks for stopping by today!

Wendy

my own 'hundreds and thousands' ;)



13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Emily Carr recommendations. I love her art work, and I've read a book by her quite some time ago. I'll have to check out the titles you mentioned. Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy, thanks fir the nice update on everything and the books you recommended.
    I hope you have a lovely week and Happy September.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your books sound really interesting. I hope you enjoy your new reading. I look forward to seeing the burning bush as it changes colour, it will be spectacular I am sure!!! Hope that all goes well for your daughter and son on their returns to uni and school. Oh, and I hope that the little chipmunk doesn't come and get stuck again, poor fellow, but at least you were on hand to perform a great rescue! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy! We're getting lots of signs of Fall here too! Some of the trees by my house have full branches starting to share their beautiful colors! Our weather was getting pretty warm, but finally seems to be cooling a bit. I have a feeling cool will become more of the norm soon. ;)

    God bless you saving the little chippie! Lol

    Those books look really interesting. I love when I find a wonderful author and they have a series of books.
    Blessings to you as we begin lovely Autumn! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn is certainly on the way in here, which I'm glad about as it's my favourite season. Well done you on rescuing the chipmunk, I imagine you it wasn't easy! Wishing you a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Wendy! Happy September to you! Your flowers look lovely. It is pretty hot here, which is fine with me. I am sure the chipper appreciated the rescue. Thanks for sharing the books, I will have to check them out. Have a happy day and weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm an avid book reader so I'll have to check out these books, and your flowers are GORGEOUS!!! I hope you have a great weekend, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. That chipmunk was lucky you were around. And smart thinking with the gloves. It is very hot here, too, but I see changes in some of the leaves already.
    Happy September Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank goodness you were there to rescue that poor little chipmunk! I'm crossing my fingers that he (she) learned their lesson.

    I'm an Emily Carr fan, too. She led such an interesting life, especially for a woman in that time period.

    Have a great September!

    ReplyDelete
  10. September? Already? Surely not. And it is quite hot here still. I love portulacas, we get them in a lot of colors, but they are not as sturdy as they look and with wither away at the first opportunity. At least mine do :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy reading Emily Carr's books, too. Although we've lived here for 13 years, I have not yet gone to visit the house she lived in. Her artwork really captures the wildness of life in along the coast.

    Enjoy the warmth and sunshine! Tonight I can hear rain spattering on the roof - welcome after our very dry summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Emily Carr too, Wendy, having first 'met' her in 1999 at the Art Gallery of Toronto where we saw her Little White Church. I had a small print of it framed around the house for ages. I have also visited her gallery in the Vancouver museum and bought a lovely big book re her life and art from there. It was exciting on our recent trip to Canada to meet up with Kristie and visit Stanley Park; I could totally see Emily Carr's spirit in those big dark trees! Have taken up your recommendation and just downloaded Klee Wyck to my kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Emily Carr too, Wendy, having first 'met' her in 1999 at the Art Gallery of Toronto where we saw her Little White Church. I had a small print of it framed around the house for ages. I have also visited her gallery in the Vancouver museum and bought a lovely big book re her life and art from there. It was exciting on our recent trip to Canada to meet up with Kristie and visit Stanley Park; I could totally see Emily Carr's spirit in those big dark trees! Have taken up your recommendation and just downloaded Klee Wyck to my kindle.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...