Thursday, December 18, 2014

Kitchen Reveal ... at long last!!

I'm just going to plug in a whack of photos here so that you can see my kitchen makeover complete!


(well almost complete) 

A rather poorly stitched photo of three

These kind of jobs (painting walls etc) just lead to more things you want to change. We've decided to get new countertops in the new year, and a new backsplash, and two new lights ... but for now, the hard work on my part is finished. My husband said he can manage the countertop, which will be a dark laminate.





There's also the back of the lower cupboards that have to be covered over with a bead board. The wood there is much splintered and we've decided to just cover it up completely (you can see a bit of it in the middle photo, above and in the photo below). We have the bead board now, and it just needs painting and fixing in place.


I've already picked out the lights I want to get, and the ceiling fan/light will be picked up over the holidays. Weirdly enough, every one of the blades of our current light broke off!! (you can just see the bottom of it in the above photo). The first blade snapped off when we were all in the family room watching a movie (which is in our basement). We heard the large clunk! on the floor and then the fan was lopsided and was making a horrible crashing sound as it continued to spin. We couldn't use the fan anymore, but the blades continued to snap off one by one over the next year or so. The metal brackets holding the blades just weakened, failed and fell to the floor.

The range hood will also be replaced with a black one (below).


I want a simple wrought iron chandelier over the table, and the ceiling fan has dark blades but white(ish) lights. It's going to look great, but we're really happy with the transformation at this stage, and nothing more will be done on it before Christmas, except that I will mess it all up with some baking real soon!


One day we'll even get new flooring, but I think we're going to go vinyl there. This vinyl floor has stood up really well for the 20 years we've lived in this house.



I've put out a few Christmas things, but I'm really loathe to add to much out here. I want to keep it simple and clutter free as much as possible.

Below I have a ceramic cookie mold hanging on the door knob, and a snowman cookie stamp below. The blue & white ceramic pot holds tea bags.


Below is our chalkboard countdown calendar where we've been marking off the days. The pottery plant pot holds a few rolling pins from my collection, and Mom's maple cutting board is leaning behind.


Below is Mom's old breadbox with my hot drinks tray on top of it.


We're ready for hot cocoa, tea and even mulled cider (the mulling spices are in the bread box).


We bought the two light switch covers shortly after we moved here. I love the hillbilly ready to shoot the rabbit in the log ... but the rabbit of course has out-tricked him and is calmly watching behind. The three ladies having tea reminded me of me and my two sisters.


These two jars above my pantry cupboard hold some of my tin cookie cutters. The green-lidded jar is antique and belonged to my great grandmother. The silver-lidded jar is a reproduction.

do you see my tiny mouse up there?
Here he is a little closer. He's made to hang over the shelf.

Cody is trying hard to be in all my photos.

I picked up this little plant pot at the thrift store a while ago. I thought I showed great restraint in only buying the one of two that were there. Of course, now that I see how well the poinsettias look in the pot, I wish I had bought them both!

To see previous photos of the kitchen, just search "Decorating", and the posts featuring them will pop up.  Here are a few shots of what it looked like before ...


 
Well there you have it! I hope you enjoyed the photos. I'm not sure what my time will be like in the next few days, but I hope to have at least one more post when I can show you some more of my Christmas decorations.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Wendy

A little sheep made from a homemade pom pom,
felt face & googly eyes glued on, bell tied around the middle.

38 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC!!!!!! It looks amazing Wendy, such a huge difference from how it all was before and I can see just how much hard work you have put into this. It really looks great and so very different. You have displayed your lovely treasures so nicely too! You and your husband should be very proud of all the work done on this. Now you can sit back and look forward to choosing those last few items next year and getting them installed and then you really will be done! I love the colour of the walls with the cabinets, they go so well together. It was so funny that you said that Cody was trying to get in all the photos because I was just thinking that and then you said the very words! Lovely to see him though!! Congratulations really on a job very well done, it is a great way to end your year. Now really, go and give yourself a massive pat on the back and chill out some, you deserve it! Happy Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is looking great! So fresh and pretty! I can picture the dark counter tops and chandelier and think they'll really finish it off nicely. How exciting! I love the dry sink too. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow,wow,wow! Wonderful,amazing and just a complete transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful, so much brighter!!! I'm sure you're thrilled with it. Can't wait to see it with the new counters. You did a fabulous job!!

    ps I love your header image too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really does look so light and bright! And brand new! I have white cabinets and love them. It's nice to have your pretty things arranged and a poinsettia to enjoy. You have everything looking beautiful! WHEW...I know you're happy to have it done to enjoy for the holidays! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! What a difference a coat of paint makes!! It looks awesome Wendy and I can imagine how it will look when you have finished the transformation. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The big reveal was worth the wait! It's gorgeous Wendy...so clean and fresh looking...and with the new items it will look even more fabulous! Your hard work has paid off...now, when are you coming up to do mine?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a gorgeous makeover !! I love those switch covers ..
    have a wonderful Christmas Wendy !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Wendy,
    Your Kitchen reveal was well worth the wait, indeed! I love it! I am crazy over your blue walls and white cabinets, such a gorgeous and timeless look. Loving these pine cone swags, wreath and pretty poinsettia.
    You have done a fabulous job and just in time for Christmas day!
    Warmest of hugs,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow....what an amazing transformation. Love, love, love the white cupboards; they look perfect against the pretty blue walls. I take my hat off to you; well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woo hoo, the cupboards are done! I must say I like the white better Wendy and by the time you do the other changes you're going to feel like you're in a different house.
    I'm smiling at Cody's face peering at you in a few of the photos, my dog always manages to pop up in some too. The worst is when I'm trying to photograph tea on the table and I turn around for a minute and when I'm back, he's eaten the tea treat off the plate!
    Take a well deserved rest now and enjoy the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! It is night and day pal!! HOLY crow!!!! You have completely transformed your kitchen and it is just stunning! Sending you high fives over the computer lady! Well done Wendy!!! And your decorations are so pretty!!!! This is the best before and after I have seen in a long while!!! Happy weekend to you!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your remodeled kitchen is gorgeous! I especially like the shade of blue you chose for the walls. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a difference light colors make! It looks twice as big as in the before photos. I love the blue walls, such a pretty shade, and the white cabinets. Your little mouse peering over the cabinets is so cute. Well done!

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent. That was hard work but you ended up with a great kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks amazing Wendy what a difference it's so much brighter and fresh looking, I know it was a lot of hard work but it was worth it, I like the sound of the future plans for the kitchen too it's going to be lovely and even better you can just sit back and let hubby do the work haha well you have done your bit so you deserve to. Love all your decorations, I love poinsettia and bought one a couple of weeks ago it was beautiful when I bought it but it has died already poor thing just drooped and never recovered don't know why because it was watered and in a good spot. Cody has every right to be in the photo's he's just showing his approval of the new kitchen haha have a great day Wendy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! Blue and white are so crisp and clean and bright. This was, indeed, a huge paint project, Wendy, and kudos to you for accomplishing it! I love your views and you've decorated everything so prettily; the honey coloured cabinet is charming. What a difference from the 'before' shots! Enjoy it, my friend!

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, your new kitchen looks beautiful, a wonderful makeover..It is so bright and pretty. And I love Cody helping by modeling. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your kitchen is beautiful Wendy-love all the light and openness-and just in time for Christmas-enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks awesome, I'm sure you are all pleased to have it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your kitchen is wonderful, Wendy! It's so bright and cheerful, and I'm sure that now it seems worth all the work that went into its transformation. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Wendy the cabinets are beautiful and look so pretty in white! It looks so bright and cheery in your kitchen. You must be so happy to have it all finished (at least for now LOL!). I hope you enjoy the kitchen and have a wonderful Friday and weekend. Hugs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful transformation, Wendy! So light and bright - I love the blue and white! What an amazing job - I know you didn't think you would ever get it done and now look - it is so pretty! I love all the little details - your great-grandmother's jar, the rolling pins, the bread-box - all those things that make a kitchen so homey. You must be dancing around your pretty new kitchen every morning when you wake up - I know I would! Good job! Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks absolutely wonderful! So fresh and new :D And just in time for the holiday too. I'm happy for you, redecorating and updating can make you feel like you're in a newer better place sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a wonderful transformation Wendy. I love the blue and white. Love the tea station with the knitted tea cozy and your great-grandmother's jar. What a treasure. Love how your little dog wants to be in all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well done, it looks fab! Lovely to have a little tour around your kitchen and see all your pretty things - and I love that Cody is following you around and popping into the pics too 😊 Happy weekend, xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely transformation. I think Cody is a handsome kitchen model. I especially love that you have your mom's bread box and the antique jars for cookie cutters. So many special touches to your gorgeous new room. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, Wendy, your kitchen is beautiful! I love it! The wall color is pretty; our living room is blue although not the same shade. I would enjoy baking in your pretty, spacious kitchen. Hugs and Merry Christmas!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  29. So bright and clean! I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks fabulous Wendy. Kitchen refit is on our agenda next year... Not looking forward to the disruption but it is badly overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations, Wendy! What a thoroughly successful transformation you have achieved! I was admiring the first pictures and thinking I would have to go back in your posts to see what the kitchen looked like "before," because I remember when you first mentioned this project that I thought the kitchen already looked very nice. But then you thoughtfully added the "befores" for comparison, and wow! Quite an impact! Big, big congratulations!
    And I see I am not the only person who loves windows all around :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really love your kitchen and all these little things everywhere !!!! What a good job you've done there !!! I'm impressed !!!! I hope you'll get some time for you now ... and enjoy the season !!! I wish you a very very happy christmas !! Joyeux Noël !!! See you soon !

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well, even if you stopped right there with everything, it looks pretty darn perfect to me. So much brighter than before. Love the blue and white and the touches of wood color. I can understand needing to replace lights and the fan, but the counters and flooring match right now, so it all looks great. And is probably cleaner than it's ever been. Everything around here is a mess and I've not done any renovating. I just hate cleaning and organizing. Enjoy baking and spending quality holiday time with family and friends. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wendy,
    Stopping by to wish you and your family a beautiful and Merry Christmas!!
    xoxox-
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  35. just beautiful. I love that shade of blue and I have always loved white cupboards. Mine are white too. I am working on just cleaning up my kitchen at the moment and thats bad enough. I would LOVE to redecorate but thats not going to happen any time soon. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, looks amazing, you must be so pleased !

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think your kitchen is looking wonderful. It's so light and welcoming. I got such a kick out of the tiny mouse on top of your cabinets 😜 I love little mice. Nice thrifty find! You guys did a great job with the renovating and I like all your future plans for it. I hope you have had a great holiday season.

    Happy New Year!

    Birgitta xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Just stopping back by to wish you and yours a Happy New Year, Wendy!

    Blessings,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...