Thursday, November 20, 2014

Off We Go Again!

Off we go again ... smack dab into winter!  It's not terribly cold if you look at the thermometer, but boy! that wind is enough to knock you over this morning!  I pity the poor folks in Buffalo this week with their six feet of snow!  Can you believe that?!  And it all fell in 24 hours making weather history.  Cold comfort when you can't even get out your front door. We got the remnants of that storm yesterday afternoon and night.  We only got about 3 inches of snow.  This is the view out my own kitchen door today ...


The sky is blinkety blue, with brilliant white clouds scudding by.  The sun is bright and clear making the snow sparkle on the ground and in the air as the wind whips it high!  It's like nettles stinging your face when those sharp little crystal beads fly at you.  Did my son take a hat or cowl or even wear boots to school?!  No.  Too proud! But his ears will be burning red, and I'm sure his feet will be blocks of ice when he walks home this afternoon.  Sheesh! I'm tempted to pick him up at the end of the day (only so he doesn't ruin his shoes ... I did tell him to put all this winter gear on), but don't want to spoil the boy. 


Walking the dog was such fun.  Cody loves winter time and loves playing in the snow, as long as he doesn't get road salt between his paws. Already, the town is liberally salting the sidewalks, and the poor dog is already crying in pain and stopping and sitting on his little bum lifting all four paws in the air ... "please clean out my paws".  Now I carry him across the salt-encrusted areas, like in front of our elementary school, and at bus shelters. Such a pain.



The kitchen makeover is still going on ... and on and on and on. I am so tired of this endeavour right now.  I painted the framework with a very pale taupe, but it just looked white.  I was not happy with that, and my husband very kindly picked up another gallon of slightly darker taupe last night, and today I'll work again with that.  Yesterday, I primed four doors ... only 20 more to prime, and then I have to paint them all again in taupe.  sigh

I feel like it's all sitting in limbo at the moment.  More and more dishes are creeping out of the storage locker and are now sitting on my kitchen table as we get fed up with carting everything back and forth.  So clutter is rampant out there, and I'm feeling a little frantic.  I'll show more progress photos when I get the framework painted up.  

A lunch date with my daughter up in university town has been cancelled for Sunday.  She's swamped with work, and asked us to hold off for another week.  Just as well.  They got a foot of snow up there. Maybe we can get close to finished with the kitchen on Sunday instead.  I'm not even sure I want to drive to visit my dad on Saturday, but I really like to check up on things with him once a week.  The surprises I find in his room are numerous, and you can't expect the care workers to look in his closet and dresser drawers, but he tends to hide things away.  I noticed he stole a package of sugared ginger from the kitchen.  He loves ginger.  I thought my sister had bought it for him, but she said no.  oops! They're calling for more snow on Saturday ... how I hate driving in winter on the highway through Toronto to see him.  ugh!  double ugh!!

I need to look at something besides winter white now ...


 .... ahhhh, that's a bit better ;)

Thanks for stopping by!

Wendy






23 comments:

  1. What a beautiful view outside...but BBBRRR!! I hope you get to stay in today and stay warm! The sun is bright here and it's warming the house nicely! Sweet hugs from the chilly South, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poor dog! That is so horrible and must be very upsetting for you both. I hope that you can still get some walks in. I hope your son makes it home OK too and that he isn't too frozen. Try not to the think of the repainting as repainting, try to imagine that the first coat was a primer or undercoat for the lovely finished product! It is better that the first one was too light than too dark I guess as that is easier to paint over isn't it. Drive safely when you are out and about and stay warm! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that snow, so pretty to look at, but so impractical for so many reasons, especially poor doggy :( Hope your boy comes home unscathed and maybe remembers to wrap up warm tomorrow!
    I can't imagine reprinting etc my kitchen, I applaud you for doing it yourself, SUCH a major task, just keep going and you will get there in the end!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so sorry for your dog Wendy it must sting like mad. It does look pretty cold out there it's making me shiver just to look at it. Your kitchen will soon be done, you have done the worst bits, I have still to start on my small bedroom I hate decorating but hopefully I will get it all done in the first week of December when I have a weeks holiday. Keep warm xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendy - sounds like you are in the thick of winter now - that wind must be biting cold on your poor face! I'll bet your son will bundle up a bit warmer tomorrow! I think they sell dog booties just for those salty roads - if you can get him to wear them, that is! Too bad about not meeting up with your daughter, but it is better to be safe. I got a chuckle out of your Dad hiding treats....My Dad was in a home for 5 years with Alzheimer's and I went to visit him every week, too - so hard to make that journey home. I know what it is like to deal with remodeling upheaval - my bedroom has been in limbo for ages now and hubby shows no signs of wanting to resume....I might have to light a fire under his butt. :) A kitchen is hard, though. Hope you get lots done this weekend and stay safe on those roads. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wind is lazy, it can't be bothered to go around..so it goes right through. The sun bouncing off the snow this morning was blinding,wasn't it?! We are forecast rain in a couple of days..crazy.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have about a foot of snow with more on the way and like you, I feel sorry for the people in Buffalo with their record snowfall.
    I don't go far from the house when the roads are nasty and avoid the high speed required on the 400, I have lots of backroad routes figured out.
    My dog is like yours with the salt on the sidewalks, at least he's smaller to carry when the paws are burning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have had the cold and winds, but thankfully just a trace of snow. Those poor people in Buffalo, what a way to start winter! I feel so bad for dogs with all of the salt that gets thrown down on the sidewalks. Stay warm! Hope your son listens to mom next time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if you could knit him up some booties for his paws to protect him from the salt? we ended up with 4 inches of snow here-and bitter cold-that is unreal-those poor people getting all that snow-I saw on the news tonight-that they now must get the snow off their roofs-or it will collapse their homes-just a nightmare for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That view outside your kitchen window is lovely. All that effort remodelling your kitchen will be well worth all your hard work, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snow is just so beautiful and makes your home seem so so cozy. Nothing more gorgeous, especially to get you in the mood for the holidays. I missed this so much when i first moved to Texas, but now, if I see it for one or two days, I am ready for spring. Can't imagine months of this! Lovely though

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can not get over this weather! We haven't gotten slammed like you all just yet but I know it's coming!! And good look with the cabinets...I hear you about limbo. So many of those moments in life but it will be FANTASTIC when they are done!!! And thank you for the garden pretties! I needed that right about now!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks very blustery, your poor dog! I had never thought of that, we shall see how mine fairs this winter here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck for everything and take care ! As i said before : already the snow for you .... ! not easy !! Well, try to have a lovely week end ....

    ReplyDelete
  15. That wind was brutal wasn't it? My dogs do just the same with the road salt. The complain and refuse to move until their paws have been cleaned. I have contemplated buying booties, but always worry that they won't stay on. Kitchen renovations are really time consuming. We painted our cabinets and so I know just what you are going through. I am sure it will be worth it in the end. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. take care...here its also very cold..and might snow this year...last year we didnt have white christmas..thanks for sharing..have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE seeing your pictures of the snow!! So beautiful and enchanting :-) Sorry if this is a silly question, but as in our area it never gets anywhere near cold enough to snow, I have to ask, what does the salt do?

    Keep warm!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute photos of Cody, he is adorable.. I am glad the snow seems to be missing us. I love your flower mosaic.. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yikes! I don't do snow. My son is in his second year in Colorado and still hasn't bought proper boots. He's still wearing canvas tennie shoes which can't be too warm. He sent me a picture of the wool socks he ordered. I am wondering how they fit in his regular shoes? Doing a remodeling job certainly takes time. And in between, it can be a bit overwhelming. Hope you are able to get finished up shortly. And that you were able to visit your dad and all is well. I am sure lots of folks in his situation take little things like that. As long as he's not stealing a car, then your good. Ha! Have a good day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your winters make ours seem so mild by comparison. Very pretty but not good for travelling around.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm wondering if your sweet dog could use boots. When we were in Colorado this Summer, they sold boots for pups in this precious store. Your Winters are cold but so beautiful to me. Glad your redo is coming along.
    Wishing you a good Thanksgiving,
    Xx
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your dog is adorable, Wendy. Have you thought about buying boots to protect his paws? I did have some for my lab, but she didn't tolerate them...just sayin'....it might help. It's snowy here too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I see others have commented about doggie boots. I just bought some for my niece's dog. Not sure whether he'll like them or not . . .
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...