Thursday, August 07, 2014

Good Fences ... Past Prime

I posted about a little mystery solved a while back here.  It was a pleasure to locate this small point and the former home (now removed) of the author of a book I read "A Life in the Bush".  As we crept along the path that followed the rocky shore of Lake of Two Rivers, we almost missed seeing an old fence now being absorbed into the landscape of pine trees and rocks.


I want to read the book again as I seem to recall mention of a fence here.  A fence to keep the young children from going too close to the lake water while the mother attended to daily chores.


Keeping track of children when you're surrounded by water must have been a chore in itself.  This point has smooth rocks at the shoreline ... both an invitation to play, and a danger should you slip and fall into the dark waters.  This fence must have been quite stout and secure in it's prime.  The fact that a portion of it is still standing after so many years through blazing hot summers and sub-zero winters is proof.  There are remnants of posts and rails scattered below this small rise.

 
I think everyone who has passed this bent spike has had a try at twisting it free.  But like King Arthur's sword, it remains locked in the wood until the right time, or until the right person can pull it out. 

 
The wire portion of the fence still has spring in it and made the "sproing!" that wire fences sing when you step on them.  The sound instantly took me back to my childhood when we would climb over the farmers' fences to hike through the fields and along the escarpment.  Such a familiar sound, not so often heard by me anymore.
 

The bolts on this fence were put in good and solid.  Can't you just imagine the original fence builder, home owner, tightening that bolt one last turn and thinking to himself "There! That's got it! It'll hold for years".  Well satisfied with the fence being built he turned himself to other matters and the fence did it's job for more years than he ever imagined ... and now that bolt, still tight, will forever sit here in this spot with the wood rotting beneath it.  The wire tangled around it.  The pine needles slowly covering it.  Until it's completely lost, just like the reason for building that fence in the first place.

 
http://run-a-roundranch.blogspot.ca/2014/08/good-fences-20.html 

22 comments:

  1. I need that wood. Can you ship it to me please???? Your photos took me back in time.

    Gorgeous place.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post, Wendy. I know that "sproing" sound from going over fences as a kid. I checked both Amazon and ABE Books, and neither had copies of A Life In the Bush. It sounds like it would be an interesting read. I'll try the library and see if I can find it there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so interesting, Wendy. One of my favorite things to do on a walk in the woods is to keep my eyes peeled for old fences and stone walls. They are some of the surest signs of a past life in that place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE old fences! Very nice post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went back and read the mystery post and along with this one, I find it interesting that you found remnants of the old house and this piece of fence.
    At our arboretum there is a pond way back on the property where we've found evidence of a home with a few daylilies. One year I even discovered a peony growing in the overgrown brush so I rescued it to our yard. I wish there was information about who lived there and when as you could discover in your book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post, continuing your story about the old house. The fence has seen its days, great find! Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went back and read the post. I love stuff like this, and you can almost feel a connection to that woman when you see the single lily blossom and the lily of the valley from her long-ago flower beds. Fascinating story! Now I'm wondering where the cabin was moved to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How interesting to think about the sound the wire makes. And I'm drawn to old fences that are grown over or fallen down. You got some good photos to share this week! Sweet hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fascinating fence that is, and truly one that would be easily missed in the woods. So fun to imagine this history

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an outstanding look at how life was for this family....makes my imagination run wild! And how very true about being a mother and having to keep little ones away from the water! That fence like you said shows that it was solid! Whoever built it did a good job as it still looks strong today! Wishing you a wonderful weekend Wendy! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. pure poetry. a wonderful old find! thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great shots of some vintage bits and pieces....

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post ...so nostalgic ...have a good weekend ...Gail x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet, sentimental post! How wonderful to find a place you read about in a book! The old fence, still holding strong in places, is so bittersweet. Beautiful photos. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots that are more exciting knowing you have read about the area!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Wendy,

    Posts such as these, with a hint of history to them, always captivate me, and your lovely narration is like a little picture book, teaching, as well as entertaining! Thanks so much for sharing and happy weekend!

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Wendy what pretty fences and wood in the woods! Thanks for taking us on your walks in the woods. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a lovely fence Wendy, I would love to have one like that somewhere in my garden it has such charm, love your pictures as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful post of the wood fence and I really loved to read your writing, my friend♡♡♡

    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...