Monday, July 30, 2018

Visiting Vancouver Island ... Chemainus

At the end of May, my husband and I took a trip out west to visit my brother and his two teenage sons. We haven't been out west for fourteen years now, as my brother (who is a very good brother) would always do the travelling and visit us here in Ontario. But it was definitely time for our overdue visit. We were there for a week, and did a bit of touring around. I tried to condense my trip into one post, but there were too many photos to share, so I'm breaking it down into bits :)

We rented a car for the week and one day was spent driving up the Malahat to the quaint town of Chemainus.  The Malahat is a beautiful island highway with several spots to pull over and admire the spectacular view.



The town of Chemainus is famous for their painted murals. When the lumber industry was threatened  here years ago, putting many of the residents out of work, the residents came up with a plan to paint murals on the sides of buildings to attract tourists into their town. For the most part the murals depict the town's history, and they are quite amazing. Over the years, other themes seem to have been adopted. I do have a book somewhere in the house about Chemainus and the background of the murals, but here I will just share the murals with you. You may follow this link to read more on the history of the town.
















  























 

After viewing many of the murals (and the above sampling is not all the murals!), we wandered around town a bit. People here have taken great pride in their little cottages, and their gardens are beautiful! 







I honestly think I could happily live in this little town by the sea and forests.

Thanks for stopping by!

Wendy







23 comments:

  1. The murals are beautiful and vivid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to see this post Wendy.
    Those murals are amazing, and the flowers very pretty.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the pictures Wendy. WOW! Those murals are beautiful. I bet you had a wonderful time. Oh yes...by the SEA! I could so do that! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful art...and so much to photograph! I was happy to see a post by you today! I've missed you! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to break it down into segments because the number of photos were overwhelming me. I've missed you too Diane ;)

      Delete
  5. Hello, wow the murals are all beautiful. Gorgeous views. Looks like a lovely place to visit. Enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a wonderful part of Canada to visit.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing these lovely murals. I look forward to more photos from your Vancouver Island trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wendy! Your photos are amazing! I live closer and I've yet to visit Chemanius. It is on the bucket list. Hope your summer is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie :) It's a wonderful little town to visit, so I hope you get up there soon. My summer is going great! Really hot and lots of time spent near water and camping.

      Delete
  8. I too, think I could live quite happily in that little town. Oh my goodness, so, so many amazing murals; each and every one is a work of art! How fabulous you were able to visit your brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I had a really great time with my brother.

      Delete
  9. Hello Wendy, what a cute little town and absolutely wonderful murals. They really are 'West Coast Canadian'! Looks like you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, beautiful murals telling a very big part of history. We had a great trip, and I can't wait to return.

      Delete
  10. The murals are amazing aren’t they. We loved Chemainus and have lots of the same photos. It sounds like you had a fantastic trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lot of work has gone into those murals.They do add a certain charm to the place,I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How very fantastic that you could make this trip to the west coast! I love all the murals that are around the town. What a beautiful garden with the bird house!!!
    I am glad you got to visit family to!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...