Sunday, May 01, 2016

Post Pottery

Yesterday was a lovely sunny day here in my town in southern Ontario, and I set off early in the morning to travel across the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) to meet up with the very funny and entertaining Margie of Tea in the Valley fame.  And here we are (thank you for the photo Margie!) ...

Margie (right), Wendy (left)
Margie invited me to her beautiful town of Dundas (a town I used to call home myself!), and we visited the Hamilton Potters Guild spring sale held in the old Armoury. The sale was just incredible, and we enjoyed wandering along the aisles admiring all the beautiful handmade pottery for sale. There were so many things to choose from! We admired bowls, mugs, casseroles, plates, birdhouses, jewelry and much, much more. Since I have been decluttering my own home, and since Margie is a self-proclaimed minimalist (oh, except for anything tea related ha ha!), we were each very selective about what we decided to purchase.

After a bit of thought back and forth, I decided on this beautiful green faux log pottery birdfeeder. The top flat lid opens up so you can easily fill it with wild birdseed. There are a couple of small openings just above the tray where the seeds come out attracting all sorts of wonderful and rare birds ... well, okay, so I don't have rare birds, but some are wonderful if just to me. 

look at that lovely wood-grain finish!


The instructions say to be careful of this in high winds, and perhaps take it down if it gets really windy. I put it out today ... a rainy dismal day ... and waited patiently all day for some feathered friend to locate the offerings. I was finally rewarded when a pair of red-winged blackbirds stopped by, and the female had quite a feast before she could no longer stand to have her photo snapped with an unattractive beakful of munched seeds spilling down her chin!





The pair (the male was on the niger seed feeder alongside her) finally flew off and that was all that dared the green log

A couple of goldfinches did enjoy a little feast on the old metal feeder though ...




... the male is almost finished moulting his drab olive green jacket for his snappy yellow and black.

The other item I purchased was this small and beautiful leaf-shaped dish (quite tiny) which I assume is for anything you want, and which I want to use as a teabag holder. It's glazed with an attractive raku glaze, which is the coppery, metallic finish. 


After two hours of meandering through the rows and rows of beautiful pottery, Margie and I headed down the main street in Dundas and stopped in a funky eatery for a cup of warmth and a scone each. It was a very busy place, but the food and drink were most welcome after all our strenuous pottery show visit! We chatted up a storm for our entire time together, and I enjoyed the day so much!! It was a real treat to visit Dundas again, and to meet a new friend in Margie was just the best ;) 

After I left Margie, I had planned to visit the local Grove Cemetery (I know that sounds really depressing!) to see the places of rest of my great-grandparents, grandparents, aunts and uncles. But honestly, by the time I got back into my truck I was just too tired and decided to hit the road for home. A long drive ... and finally back home. I'm glad I didn't visit the cemetery after all because I was just wiped.

Thank you so much Margie for a really enjoyable day!!

Wendy



20 comments:

  1. Oh Wendy, how exciting for you and sweet Margie! I met her through the first or second tea cup exchange and since then it's been a joy to get to know her through emails and her delightful blog.

    The two of you are so beautiful and it looks like you had a wonderful time :) Isn't it a blessing to meet other bloggers?

    Happy May Day, dear friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wendy, I so enjoyed seeing both you and Margie! The two of you are just precious and what a delightful day you both had together,I love it!
    I have just met Maggie here in our blogging community, she has such a beautiful way of sharing her knowledge of tea and tea related beauty with us.

    May your week ahead be filled with God's glory.

    Blessings~~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Wendy, I so enjoyed seeing both you and Margie! The two of you are just precious and what a delightful day you both had together,I love it!
    I have just met Maggie here in our blogging community, she has such a beautiful way of sharing her knowledge of tea and tea related beauty with us.

    May your week ahead be filled with God's glory.

    Blessings~~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wow, that green bird feeder is the business. How I'd love to own that! Already the birds are visiting, and impressed. What a lovely photo of you meeting up with your blog friend - I have found such meetings to always be wonderful fun - and exhausting. All that excitement!! It sounds like you had a great day out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very soon the cute green log bird feeder will be attracting many more birds to it. I like the tea shaped plate too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a beautiful bird feeder and what a coincidence,, they had our local Potters Guild sale here Saturday as well,, I was there enjoying all their beautiful work too!!What a wonderful time you had with good friends,,

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a perfect day, and the bird feeder is very nice! I'm sure it will attract more and more visitors once they catch on that there is seed in that there log. And I also love your tiny dish. I find one bonus of being very disciplined about limiting the "okay" stuff I bring into the house, is that when I find the Very Right Thing, it's an easy decision without a lot of internal argument.
    Thanks for "voting" on my Comptonia what-shall-I-draw poll, Wendy - I was feeling quite spoiled for choice, and it's really helpful getting a nudge from readers! A week of rain is predicted - a WEEK - so it's a good time to do some drawing, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's a neat bird feeder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH Wendy, how exciting for both you and Margie to meet! Thank you for sharing the beautiful picture of the both of you. What a fun day you had, with shopping an eating, and making a new friend, in our sweet Margie. It's so fun to meet our blogging friends in person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a lovely day out Wendy I would have loved to see that pottery, the bird feeder is gorgeous lucky birds having such a posh feeder to eat out of and the little leaf is lovely too. You both look lovely in the photo. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like it was a wonderful outing!! I just LOVE both of your purchases!! Both so pretty. ;)

    Happy week ahead. xoox

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you met up with your new friend and had such a great day!!! Your purchases are very pretty, I love them both in different ways and I am sure you will enjoy using these things that you chose to own for a special reason! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your new bird feeder. We haven't got one in our garden because of the cats but I do very much enjoy seeing birds, I might just try to put one up next winter. Isn't it nice to meet new friends? I have met a couple of bloggers and enjoyed it very much. Wishing you a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like that faux log feeder!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's nice that you and Margie got to meet, you're going for tea this weekend with someone else too if I remember correctly? I like the log bird feeder and know Margie is wishing she had picked up the purple one she showed on her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI Wendy...
    I thoroughly enjoyed meeting one of my blogging pals too!
    It is like you have known each other forever!
    Love that feeder....and the Finches!
    Enjoy your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely day the two of you had! The pottery that you purchased are amazingly beautiful! So intricate. I am sure you will get years of enjoyment from them and they will also be a remembrance of your day together.

    -Soma xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bird feeder looks great! I'm glad that it didn't take too long for some birds to enjoy it. The raku piece is so pretty! Now I wished that I bought one for myself too. Hee! Thanks again for driving down and the fun meetup! I'm sure it won't be our last!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Wendy, Sounds like you had a nice outing meeting up with your blogging friend. The pottery pieces you purchased are lovely. I like the cute birdfeeder and the leaf dish is just beautiful. Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How wonderful that you were able to meet! Loved seeing the picture of both of you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...