Monday, November 17, 2014

Kitchen Progress???

The kitchen makeover is taking much longer than expected ... which of course is always the way! I got the frame work all sanded, cleaned and primed now, but such a chore. I think my husband realized I might start to feel a little discouraged with it all, and has had pity on me and decided to pitch in and help (thank goodness!!). He took over the sanding of the doors because he can use an electric orbital sander for that job. I think he's a little tired of a week of traipsing down the hall to the storage locker for every dish he wants. It was easy to convince him to order in Chinese on the weekend to save making a meal here, and hopefully we can get this kitchen back together quickly now that the painting has started.

Progress so far:



One little strip there that needed resanding

Doors partially sanded, screw holes filled, now they need wiping with tack cloth before priming.

We went shopping for the final choice of paint colour (a very pale taupe), and couldn't resist looking at the countertops at Home Depot.  We came home with a few samples of those too.  I don't think a new countertop is going in before Christmas, but I've got to admit I would be thrilled to have one of these to replace my outdated fake marble there.  I like the one second from the right.


The dog took full advantage of the door coming off the pantry cupboard and all the food unprotected for a very short time, and quickly made off with a bag of Oreo cookies ... the mint kind!!  Little cheat! My husband is always teasing my son for eating all the cookies and got after him for the missing bag of cookies.  He said "I just bought them last night and now they're all gone?!"  My son said "I honestly didn't eat them all, there were lots left!!". When they realized the bag wasn't in the cupboard or in my son's room, my son (wanting to clear his name) checked behind my chair in the living room where the dog will hide any food wrappers he gets hold of.  Sure enough, there was the empty bag. Of course, Cody being the trusty dog that he is, gave back all the cookies sometime during the night, and told us all about it with his barking around 5:00 a.m. A nice liquid chocolaty pool of regurgitated chocolate cookies in front of the back door ... ugh.  It's turned us all off of Oreo's for a while now. Cody spent the entire day in the garage until I had time to give him a bath.

A very gloomy day today with the snow coming down all of yesterday (Jane, I'm not laughing anymore!). We only got a few inches of snow, but it's a bit early for us to get snow in mid-November, and it hasn't stopped yet! I hope this isn't a prelude to what's in store later when things really get cooking out there.

It was a fairy wonderland out there earlier, but it's melting away now (but a very find sleet is still falling)
This is the last photo of the year for my mini rose (taken yesterday).  This morning it was in a heap on the ground, weighted down with the snow.  I sure hope it survives the winter (the last one didn't).


And one more rambling thought.  I've been going through some photos of my mom's lately, and came across this little memento that my grandfather sent to his sister back in the first World War.  I thought it was quite pretty, and I'll bet Great Aunt Mary was pleased with it when it came in the post from her brother whom she admired very much.  I found it too late for a Remembrance Day post, but thought you might like to see it anyway :)  The card is embossed, and the window is lace with embroidery on that, and the little flap lifts up.  Isn't is sweet?  I love these old-fashioned cards, and there's quite a few in my box.


Well, time is ticking, and it's taken me far too long to write this post.  I hope you all have a wonderful day, and ...

thanks for stopping by!

Wendy

18 comments:

  1. Looks like a big job! Glad hubby is helping you out! I bet it's going to look great! Our cabinets are starting to need some work but I'm putting it off because I'm not looking forward to all that sanding and mess. Ugh! Good luck! Funny and not so funny story about the dog. I bet he had minty fresh breath and nice chocolate gooo between his teeth. lol ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the man is finally helping you out - he finally got the hint. It would be so cool if you got a new counter top. I have black granite in my kitchen and it would not have been my first choice of color but now I love it. It is the perfect contrast color and my flowers just pop against it. I was so hoping for snow here last week - I am surprised it was early for snow up there. Instead, we had a full day of freezing rain. There were trees breaking off from the weight of the ice - on top of my house, against my house, etc etc. It was so scary. And I am so done with winter now and it isn't even here yet. Your vintage card is so pretty. It is good that you have kept them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mint oreos? How divine, we only have the normal ones here. Re modelling a kitchen is always a long hard slog I do feel for it. I know the snow can be a pain but it gives such a magical feel to a garden, quite often we get none where I live. The card is a beauty, a lovely item to have in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've got the snow too Wendy. It must be getting those of use that live close to the lake ... I'm in Quinte West by CFB Trenton. We renovated our kitchen and it took a few months to get it all done but it was so worth it in the end. Now I actually want to go in there and cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy that's an epic job. I am so glad your dear other half took pity and pitched in with the big boys toys !

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stitching is just gorgeous! What a treasure to keep in your family and enjoy. I hope things go well with your project! It's a huge job but will be beautiful when it's finished. Love seeing your pretty snow photos! Brrrr...we're getting some much needed rain right now. Glad we hiked yesterday! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy!!! It is coming along beautifully!!! And your picks for the countertop are fantastic!!! I was laughing out loud about the cookie thief!!! And can you believe this weather?? We are already getting blasted here too...... That card is outstanding! You really have extraordinary pieces of history from your family!! Just too pretty for words! Good luck with the kitchen!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your kitchen is going to be fab, thankyou for sharing all the "during" photos with us :)
    The little notecard is so lovely, the embroidery detail is gorgeous :)
    Poor doggie ! And you (or whoever cleared up the mess:)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the card! It is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool card! It's freezing out here and my furnace isn't working right... ugh. When is spring again???

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got snow? (Titter titter)
    Really, that's dreadful (hehehehehe).
    I feel so sorry for you (snigger snigger).
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of snow here and it's so pretty.
    One day at a time and the cupboards will be done before you know it. Funny about the dog stealing the bag of Oreos, not funny when he gave them back. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm getting so excited. Love the lighter cupboards. The middle countertop sample is great. I say do them while everything else is getting done. You;ll never go back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh already snowy ?!! Good luck ! the card is simply beautiful and moving (correct word ?). have a nice day !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for your husband helping you with the sanding - and getting Chinese food!! Not so yay on the snow though!! I bet that you could do without that while you are in the middle of a big project. The card that you found is beautiful isn't it, they really did know how to make some amazing things back them didn't they. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love to see kitchen progress! That is a lovely card - so much work went into it. And glad the dog made his confession, albeit a messy one. Hope you have a less adventurous day today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poor Cody! a whole bag of Oreos can't be good for ANY body!
    (and poor you, with the clean up...ugh.)
    I love the card - how precious! And of course, that lovely, final rose, with it's faceful of snowflakes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...