Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Vancouver Island - The Raptors, Duncan

Before I begin, I should mention that my blog connection to my email doesn't seem to be working anymore. I haven't had a chance to look into it, but it all started when I changed my email to "new" gmail. My septviolets gmail doesn't seem to be working at all either. I will be replying to everyone here on my blog instead.

While we were driving up to Chemainus, we passed a billboard advertising a raptor centre in Duncan, BC. I quickly snapped a photo of the road sign so that we could find it on the way back. If you're ever in Duncan and enjoy birds of prey, this is a must see!

We arrived at The Raptors in the afternoon and just in time for a live bird show. The theatre is a small open field with wood benches, and as the handlers talk about the raptors, these amazing creatures fly through the spectators from perch to perch. It was amazing!!
  




American Kestrel

This Red Tailed Hawk is covering his "kill" to keep other birds from seeing it.

Red Tailed Hawk

Barred Owl

   
Harris Hawk

Harris Hawk


After the show, we wandered around the grounds admiring the many raptors ...
 


Eagle Owl

Spectacled Owl

Immature Bald Eagle

Harris Hawk

immature bald eagle


We came upon a couple of handlers that were taking this large raptor out for some exercise. I can't remember if it is a Golden Eagle or an immature Bald Eagle. They look very similar. Anyway, he invited Tim and I to join them to watch the bird fly back and forth between the handlers. That wingspan was impressive!






Peregrine Falcon


Gryfalcon, the largest falcon in the world
The handlers at the centre all knew their stuff on the hawks. It was great to see them, and to speak with the handlers who were all around to share their knowledge. You can see more about the centre at their website (at top of post).

Thanks for stopping by!

Wendy

20 comments:

  1. Aren't they amazing! Once in England I took a one day course on handling raptors and got to fly a Harris Hawk, it was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to do something like that. They did have such options at the centre, but time and ($$) were limited that day.

      Delete
  2. Wow, awesome series of raptors and photos. What a neat place to visit. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing birds! My blog/email connection stopped working a couple of months ago for no apparent reason but I thought it might have to do with new privacy settings in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, amazing! Thanks for the note on the email

      Delete
  4. Wow! What stunning pictures, my friend. Those birds are truly amazing and leave me speechless. Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool shots, Wendy!

    We all had problems with the comment notifications a few months back. This might help:

    https://thenanadiana.blogspot.com/2018/06/testing-fix-blogger-says-is-fixed.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous photos Wendy. I have been to similar shows, and the birds are fast on the move. You have such a talent, and the birds are incredible too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the birds were all incredibly fast! We even had a couple of wild bald eagles checking out the show from way up high

      Delete
  7. These birds are very majestic, aren't they?
    I think we all have problems with blogger and email, the comment notification seems no longer to be functional. It is most annoying really. If you find a solution, please let us know :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the birds! Thanks for your note on the email

      Delete
  8. What an amazing place to visit, added to my list of must see places for our next visit

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is incredible how large these birds are, especially the Eagle. These are some great photos. Thanks for the share, have a fantastic rest of your day. Keep up the posts.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful creatures. My..That owl is adorable. The Eagle is just simply majestic.Hugs and blessings dear lady.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! What a fantastic place to visit! Amazing pictures of the birds...must have been very interesting to learn more about them close up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing to see them!

    I'm reminded of a facility up at Mountsberg, not far from where I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a great place to go with your camera! You got amazing photos! WOW...oh I said that! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...