Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Winter Project - Lace Scarf

I'm joining up with Jennifer of Thistlebear this morning in her Winter Project link party. Thanks for hosting Jennifer! I've enjoyed this link party last year as well, and it really gives me much needed motivation to get moving on some knitted projects.

This past weekend was a bit dark, wet and dreary, so I made a good start at a lace scarf I wanted to knit. I picked up the yarn at the CreativFestival in Toronto. Sadly the vendors who attend this show have drastically reduced in number. I hadn't been for quite a few years, and I was shocked, and hugely disappointed, at the lack of interest in the show. It used to be a show exclusively for sewing, but then they changed the theme to include more knitting and then scrapbooking. One vendor told me the cost to rent a booth is very high, and she thought that was the reason for the low attendance.

Anyway!
I wanted to knit a lace scarf. I'm using a pattern from an old book I have which is a library of knit stitches, and this is a particularly pretty zig zag vine pattern.



The yarn ....



You can see the pattern a bit better with the light behind it ....


Before I started the scarf, I tested a few stitch patterns from the book in one long strip.
I guess this could have been made into a scarf too!


This is the pattern I'm using (below) ....



I had wanted to make a different pattern (below), but the variegated yarn didn't allow the pattern to shine through :(  Plan B became the lace.


another close second ....


I hope to visit everyone who joined up in the party later this evening. I had an unexpected day off yesterday, and although I had planned to knit, knit, knit the day away, it ended up being a day of running errands. I didn't sit down to knit until 8:00 pm. Well, it's off to a good start now thank goodness!


Thanks for stopping by!

Wendy



20 comments:

  1. I had plans to do errands today but instead crocheted the day away. :) Your scarf and all those swatches are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scarf pattern is lovely, and the test piece is cool !! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! I never learned to knit or crochet. Oh I could do a chain stitch! LOL! So very pretty. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fabulous Wendy, so many lovely stitches, the one you've chosen looks quite difficult, I'm terrible at following lacy designs now I lack the concentration and usually end making a mess of it and having to pull it out. I love the colours too. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pattern too-and the wine color-will be beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's too bad about the flagging interest in the CreativFestival. I'm loving the lace design! I hope you're keeping this pretty scarf for yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to get back into a knitting groove! And aren't stitch patterns a source of fun? I photocopied a few pages from one of Barbara Walker's stitch dictionaries at the library a few years back, and I haven't tried them all yet!
    I love your scarf-of-swatches - I've done the same, but not to such pretty effect! I also sometimes do a gauge swatch, swapping out needle sizes but keeping everything else the same. Those can be very surprising - makes knitting seem like an endless adventure of discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pretty lacy design and the beautiful, woodland colors. Too bad about the lack of vendors at the festival. So many are selling on-line now. xx K

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colours of your scarf are beautifully autumnal, perfect! The pattern works really well with the yarn. I applaud you for trying different patterns before diving into a project, very organised. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Wendy, thank you for joining in with my link party. Your scarf is beautiful! Everything about it - the lace pattern, the colors, the delicateness of the work. You're an amazing knitter. I loved seeing your test work too, that is very clever and it's interesting to see how you prepared for the real thing. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty pattern you're knitting into that scarf. Your sampler "scarf" made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear that about the CreativFestival. The sample scarf is fun. Don’t you just hate those days? You want to read or knit and end up running errands. I am glad you had the time to knit afterwards. Your lace scarf is so beautiful in that colour. That is autumn rolled into a ball of yarn.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous pattern for your scarf Wendy. Lovely colour too, perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty scarf, Wendy. This pattern is pretty, as is the lovely variegated wool. I rather love the sampler scarf as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How very beautiful! You are so talented at knitting! I love all the different patterns that you tried as you looked for just the right one to use. Love the zig zag laciness! I've never been to a big fair like that before, even though it was smaller I'm glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, your lace scarf is pretty. I like the pattern and color. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great. No coldness can disturb you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful work, such an elegant pattern and a great choice of yarn. You are all set for winter to begin.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...