Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Thanksgiving Weekend


It was Thanksgiving weekend this past weekend, and there were a few fun things going on at my house in preparation. The daycare kids made some cute paper plate turkeys ...




I set up my pumpkin and gourds on a small table in the kitchen ...


A new pattern was used for knitted oak leaves. You can find the pattern here if you're interested. I thought they turned out pretty well. I blocked the brown leaves, but the shape was pretty good with the yellow leaves, so I didn't block them. These were all sent out to my card & tea exchange group (as were cards with some rustic lettering I did on the inside ... top photo). 


Although there is an acorn included with the oak leaf pattern, I made this acorn up myself, but I only had time to create one. I'll revisit that little piece and write out a pattern to share.





I made a big turkey dinner even though there were only four of us in attendance. We seem to have a lot of leftovers! My family loves turkey leftovers, and I'll be making a turkey pot pie and turkey soup and turkey stock from the one bird. I also made butternut squash soup! The squash was bit rude looking though, don't you think?! haha



It seems one of my daycare kids got hold of my camera from the kitchen table and shot four photos. Obviously, I'll have to be more careful about where I leave the camera now :[  I rather like the one of the wrought iron lamp over the table though.





One thing that was distracting me all weekend long were the beautiful blue blooms of the heavenly blue morning glory. I'm glad these are late summer bloomers, and the fact that it was up in the high 20s (C) on the weekend keeps it going. Every day there are a set of new blooms bursting open, but by the time the sun has been on them for only a few hours, the beautiful blue turns to purple, and the flower is spent. 



Just a short catch-up today. I hope my fellow Canadians had a wonderful weekend with their families. The weather was gorgeous, and here we were sitting around the dinner table in shorts and capris with the patio door wide open and balmy breezes blowing through the house the entire day. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Wendy

one that got away ;)





21 comments:

  1. Hello, Wendy. It sounds like you had a good Thanksgiving. The oak leaves are lovely...maybe one will arrive today! The morning glory looks like it was meant to be on the wreath on your fence - such a bright blue and so pretty for this time of year. You're certainly enjoying warmer than usual temperatures. Ours are about normal now - getting chilly and we're glad for a warm house.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Wendy...
    Those acorns are adorable...and that Squash! hahaha!
    We had a great Thanksgiving at the cottage...but with gluten free veg lasagna!!
    Rainy today, but the weekend looks great again!!!!!!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Cute homemade turkey decorations. I love the knitted leaves, they are so pretty. The doggie photo is cute. I am glad one turkey got away. I love turkey leftovers, yum! Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cute turkeys the children made and your leaves look just like the ones blowing around outside at the moment xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Wendy, Happy Thanksgiving. How nice to have celebrated already. I love the turkey craft. Your leaves and acorn came out so nice and you did a great job. Hope you are enjoying fall.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. A belated Happy Thanksgiving Wendy, the decorations look lovely, I love your leaves they are so realistic and you are so clever to make up a pattern for the acorn it looks great. Thank you for all your kind words over on my blog, it has been a difficult year but I'm hoping everything will be positive from now on I can't wait to move into my new home. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving, Wendy. I loved seeing your table display and the kids' turkeys. The photo of the dog is pretty good! Between the kid's photos and your rude squash, you gave me a chuckle with this post. Hope you're having a good week so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The knitting was quite neat!

    I had pie, spent the day doing some serious photography.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear that you had a nice Thanksgiving weekend. I burst out laughing when I saw the squash. What a bummer! HA! I also enjoy seeing all the knitted oak leaves together before they were dispersed to their new homes. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those knitted leaves look really good. I used to do a lot of knitting, but have given up on that's I'll just enjoy the ones you have shown.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely time of year! I must make a pumpkin pie soon :)

    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does sound as though you had a lovely thanksgiving. The paper turkeys are great and I love the knitted leaves... so pretty. The squash did make me smile

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun post Wendy, and Happy Thanksgiving to you. Your leaves and acorn are so pretty, and perfect Fall decorations. I bet your day care kids love coming to your house, where they can make cute turkeys and sneak in a bit of photography :) Ha ha to the funny squash, bet the kids loved that too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The leaves and acorns are adorable. Happy Thanksgiving!
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your oak leaves and the acorn. Your Morning Glories are so lovely.
    Looks like a wonderful weekend there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful, Wendy. Love the paper plate turkeys and your knitted leaves and acorn turned out so cute! Too funny about the squash :o and I love that blue morning glory. We are down to the 30's tonight and there is snow in the high hills now. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your knitted leaves and acorns are fabulous, Wendy. Cute turkey plates too. I love the blue of Morning Glory. I love how the vine travels along a fence casting gorgeous blue flowers everywhere. Hope you enjoyed a lovely Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A bit late, but Happy Thanksgiving! The paper plate turkeys are so cute!! I wouldn’t mind making a couple myself! Lovely table setting. Your knitted leaves are so pretty. Thank you for the pattern link. I love butternut Squash soup! YUM! Yes, the squash is a bit rude looking. LOL!! I do like the photos the kids took, fun POV. Love the bright blue of the morning glory, specially the photo by the fence. Thanks for showing so many lovely things in this post, Wendy!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a great Thanksgiving weekend. And thanks for sharing the crochet leaves, I love them and would really like to give them a try.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Wendy! Your morning glories are stunning. And the googly-eyed turkeys made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello! Sorry to be so late commenting. It's so lovely how you made such a special day. Love the turkeys the kids made, and your leaves are so beautiful!

    I absolutely love to see pictures that kids take....a totally different set of eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...