Wednesday, March 01, 2017

High Sky Veggibilly Pie, A Recipe

Good Morning! The fog is rolling in early this morning. I hope that means the warm is overtaking the cold temperatures. It was fairly chilly yesterday with a brisk cold wind from the East. I've been wearing my spring jacket, but am not giving up a scarf or gloves just yet!

Years ago I found a recipe in a magazine for a spinach quiche. It was a recipe from Kraft called Sky High Vegetable Pie. I made it a few times, and I thought it was a hit with my family. I was soon to learn differently. My daughter was in grade 1 or 2 at the time and I was shocked, yes shocked! to read the contents of one of her school activities. It was a worksheet asking about her favourite foods etc. What was her favourite meal ... dinner. What was her favourite food ... icecream. She was fairly predictable. But the last comment was about what food she hated the most. You guessed it ... Sky High Vegetable Pie!!!


My husband and I had a laugh over this. Firstly, because we couldn't even make out what the heck she meant by Hay Sky Vechtdblbiy ... but then it clicked that she meant the Sky High Vegetable Pie! Ever since we read this, we have referred to it as High Sky Veggibilly Pie instead. It's just what you do, right?

My son loves this pie because it's a dish he and I took over to my parents' house for a luncheon visit with them. It was one of the last times we did this, so it holds special memories for him.

Anyway, I showed you a photo of this yummy quiche a couple of posts ago, and thought I'd share the recipe today. Just a word of warning. The last time I made this in the springform pan, the egg leaked out of the pan because I didn't have quite enough stuffing packed into the bottom. I ruined the pan because I couldn't get the baked egg off ... and believe me, I tried! I think next time I will make it in a quiche pan (which I have to now buy).

High Sky Veggibilly Pie

1 pkg Stove Top Stuffing Mix  (make the 6-serving size - 3 cups)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 280 g pkg frozen, chopped spinach, thawed & well drained
2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 small red pepper, cut in strips
5 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tomatoes, sliced

Prepare stuffing as directed on package. Stir in 1 egg. Press into greased 8-inch springform pan or pie plate to form crust.

Saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from heat; stir in spinach. Sprinkle half the cheese over crust. Top with half the spinach, then peppers. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and spinach. Pour remaining eggs over all. Top with tomatoes. Bake at 400F 40 - 45 minutes, until set.



This would also taste great using asparagus instead of spinach. I added about half a cup of chopped almonds to this too.

Thanks for stopping by today!

Wendy


27 comments:

  1. This looks yummy. Love the story behind the name.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great recipe that I will try. Love the story that goes with it. Good tip about the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny! Kids, eh? My son once wrote about his granny's carrot cooking skills at school. She didn't like that much. Your pie looks like something I'd love to eat but my children have an irrational fear of anything that is a quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH...kids say the darnedest things!
    Looks delish Wendy....have a great day!
    Happy March!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good! Kids crack me up with the things they say! Hugs and blessings to you dear Wendy. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's funny, as a retired teacher I tell you you wouldn't believe some of the things kids tell us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, the spinach quiche looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I hope all is well there. Have a happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute story. At least she ate if for you even though she didn't like it. Looks delicious and healthy.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm... Look amazing, my friend! Many thanks for the recipe and the sweet story.

    Have a beautiful day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny! Kids really do say the funniest things! I love quiche but would never think of adding the stove top stuffing. I'm sure that jazzes it up a lot! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Am I the only person that's never made a quiche?? I'm hanging my head in shame!! : ) This looks delicious and if I hadn't used the chopped spinach that was in the freezer for last night's dinner, I'd have all the ingredients!! Thanks for the share. It really looks yummy!! xo

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spinich is one of those things that I don't like on its own, but as something like a quiche, it works. I'm sure I'd like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha! Thanks for sharing the cute story. Does your daughter still hate this pie? I've always been a fan of quiche so this is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm. This sounds delicious. Quiche is a favourite of ours. Cute story about your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just had to read the details with a title like that! Looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh the things we learn from our children! The quiche looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a pretty quiche, Wendy. I love spinach.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds delicious Wendy we can't get stuffing mix here but it will be nice with a pastry base too I would think I must give it a try. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet story, one of the joys of parenting to read what our children write! I remember one of my brothers writing a description of the family when about that age, and for my mother he wrote: 'Short and fat' (no, she was not!) Your Vegebilly pie sure looks delicious to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cute is that! From the mouths of babes...
    Your dish looks wonderful,a must try.

    Bless you~~

    ReplyDelete
  21. This pie seems yummy and good for health.
    Thanks for leaving a comment on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a fun story--we love quiche but I have not made one years and years-I need surprise Larry and make us one soon

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely story! Look´s really good and tasty too...
    Have a happy saturday, take care!
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks so good Wendy! And how cool to use the stuffing as the "crust". Thanks for sharing!! ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Wendy, wow this pie looks and sounds so good! Thanks for the recipe. I would love to make this sometime. :)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, didn't we have a hoot about the veggiebilly pie story. And funny you talking about spinach when I just came across a post of my own childhood memory of my first encounter with cooked spinach (which I reposted this past weekend).

    The real deal looks quite yummy ... will have to try it out one day, as I've grown to enjoy spinach now.

    Wishing you a wonderful day...
    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...