Saturday, February 18, 2017

Winter Storms

Last Sunday morning I noticed it had started snowing. I figured it was just a few flurries, but was glad that I had gone to see Dad the day before in clear weather. 





I was busy in the kitchen all day baking a birthday cake for my daughter, and the birthday meal, which at her request was lasagna. My son has also been requesting a certain quiche and I decided to make that on Sunday as well. While in the kitchen for the balance of the day making all this stuff, I watched the snow come down.


spinach quiche for lunch
The snow changed from happy little snowflakes dancing up, down and sideways in the light wind, to heavy, wet flakes that came down faster and faster.




Snow was piling up and clinging to the pine tree and everything else. The pine's boughs started to hang lower and lower as the day wore on and the snow continued to fall. It looked even worse out the front window. Traffic was slowing down and thinning as people realized it wasn't worth going out on the roads.


Because I'm a terrible planner, I still had to head over to the mall to buy my daughter's birthday gift. My husband came with me, and the mall was empty. Only a few people were in the stores, which was actually kind of nice. Our truck has 4 x 4, so it wasn't difficult to navigate the roads. We didn't see any snowplows even in the afternoon. I guess they were all at work on the major roads and highways.

By the end of the day we had a good amount of snow. I thought it was great because now I would have some entertainment for the daycare kids through the week (and it was great entertainment!).





But our paltry "dusting" of 20 cm of snow was put in perspective for me later in the week when Halifax was digging out of 70 cm of snow one day, and another 40 cm of snow the next. I love snow. But I gotta hand it to our eastern folks who really know what it means to cope with a Canadian snow storm.




the last shot of the day taken through the kitchen window
The snow is still with us, although it's been hardening with the sunshine melting it in the day and then it freezes again overnight. I took the kids tobogganing a few times, right up until we had an injury on the hill ... a spectacular spinning crash with grazed cheeks against the ice and snow and lots of tears. It has to happen at least once to kids here, but that was the end of our time on the hill. Now the hill is mostly ice and too dangerous for my little guys.

I hope you all had a great week! Today is sunny with a predicted high of 8C! Of course, with the high temperatures today, everyone figures that's it for winter. We'll see ...

Thanks for stopping by!

Wendy




23 comments:

  1. No offence Wendy, but I'm not sorry to be missing all this snow! Wow, we picked a good time to be in Florida with high 70s and into the 80s temps.
    Can I put in a request for snow angels from the kiddies?
    Stay warm.
    Hugs,
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are lovely, but make me feel cold! I'm in lower s.e. FL and today it is breezy, a warm and humid 77 and partly cloudy. Rain was predicted earlier, but I just checked again and that has changed to no rain at all. Predicted for tomorrow. Time will tell.

    Thank you for your kind comment on my latest post.

    Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw a spinach quiche used as a murder weapon, Agatha Raisin ep.1, but yours looked delicious. I don't miss snow, our 2 years in Colorado cured me of any interest in living in snow country. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That snow is quite a pretty sight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow is beautiful, but I think it looks better when you don't have to go through it to get to where you need to be, or to do what needs to be done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos . YUMMY ! I like lasagna and quiche and of course cake lol . We here a few hours southwest of you near lake Erie are snowless , green and spring like and muddy till it drys up which it will soon as the weather this week is to remain sunny and warm , we had a lovely sunny day today and temps hit a record high of 13C . Our Robins are back now to . It is amazing how different each areas weather can be . Thanks for sharing , Have a good family day weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh isn't that beautiful! While on my walk today I was thinking that it was time for some more snow here, I've missed it. This past week has been unusually warm and sunny. Winter is my favorite season and I'll miss those cold blustery storms.
    I bet those little ones enjoyed their play time out of doors even though there was a little injury. All apart of growing up. :)

    Enjoy the remainder of your weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh isn't that beautiful! While on my walk today I was thinking that it was time for some more snow here, I've missed it. This past week has been unusually warm and sunny. Winter is my favorite season and I'll miss those cold blustery storms.
    I bet those little ones enjoyed their play time out of doors even though there was a little injury. All apart of growing up. :)

    Enjoy the remainder of your weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday to your daughter!

    I usually hibernate indoors during a snowstorm, but a meet-up with friends forced me to venture out last Sunday (we only live 20 minutes away from each other). Since the roads were quiet (i.e., no crazy speed demons), I actually enjoyed driving in the snow.

    I think we actually hit a high of 16C today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it's the last of your snow storms too. It's beautiful and I'm sure fun to play in at first, but then I would be staying inside. Sounds like you made lots of good dishes for your family. Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Been enjoying the same sort of snow here! Til today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy, it certainly sounds exciting when it snows, and it looks so attractive. It seems that drama is never far away though! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Sunday-you captured some pretty snow photos still no winter where I live

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Wendy, Snow falling is so beautiful, especially when you can be working in the kitchen making delicious things. Yes, eastern Canada has really been hit hard! Have a good week ahead. Hope the kiddies are easily entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm always saying that I would love some snow around here but, honestly, I wouldn't know how to cope with all of it. I'm sure I could cope with that lovely quiche, though :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brrr! I'm just not a cold weather person. My boss who was here at the school in Kuwait where I worked moved back to Halifax when he retired so he would be one of those digging out. My son in Colorado lives in a valley where it stays pretty cold and often snow turns to ice because of the melting and refreezing. They really need a good warmup for it to all melt. Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! That's some pretty snow though you are probably ready for it to lighten up I am sure! OOH...that quiche looks so good. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. your views look like you did shake a snow globe. lovely falling snow. so peaceful i bet. happy week to you! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like the perfect day to me. I love being in the kitchen and looking out at the snow coming down while I'm cooking. Lovely photos!! Happy Wednesday to you. xo

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that is a lot of snow!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, pretty snowy scenes. You have a nice yard and property. I hope no one was hurt badly while sledding. Enjoy you day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my, I remember snow like that Wendy, when living in Ohio and Michigan. Can you believe that today in Texas, people were wearing shorts?
    I loved seeing the pretty blanket that you knitted for you dear dad. He looked all cozily wrapped up in it. How sweet of you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You took some very pretty snow photos here, Wendy! I am glad the kiddos got to go out and enjoy, well, until the little accident. Nonetheless, I am sure they had a wonderful time with you!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...