Friday, June 03, 2016

Five on Friday .... June Garden

Joining up with Amy of Love Made My Home for Five on Friday today. I didn't take any photos of my garden in May when the flowers started coming up, so missed the opportunity for some lovely shots of tulips and my lilacs in their prime. These photos were taken this morning ...

One ... Iris!
A new iris that I picked up last spring ...



The only variety of iris blooming this year from my mom's plants ...


Last August I transplanted all my mom's iris into my front gardens to give them better sun exposure and drainage. I was losing them to some kind of rot. This year the leaves are much larger and healthier looking, but none of them have bloomed. I hope they will continue to improve and next spring I will hopefully see them blooming again. For now I have only two varieties in bloom.


The spiky leaves above and below the wall are Mom's iris
(you can see my suffering lavender to the right as well!)

Two ... Columbine!

This is my favourite combination of columbine colours. I used to have a larger variety of this flower, but over the years it died out. Now I have only dwarf varieties of columbine, which aren't as nice because you can't see that pretty flower shape as well. 


Apparently, if you let columbine self seed, they will continue to come up for many years. If you dead head them, however, the plant will last only about three years. Mine usually self-seed, but I do cut off the ugly dried up stalks when the flowers are finished and shake the seeds out of the flower heads onto the ground for next year.

dwarf columbine

Three ... Flowering Shrubs!

My backyard is still filled with the scent of lilacs. I have one enormous purple lilac and then two smaller bushes from Mom. This white lilac is really growing up beautifully and it smells amazing. I planted this to replace a mock orange bush which always gets consumed by aphids. I think this summer will be the last year for the mock orange as the aphids are already on it. I'm just waiting for it to bloom one last time (the scent is heavenly!) and then that will be it :(  Oh well, this lilac will be a happy substitute.


the last blooms of my enormous lilac
Korean Lilac that I purchased a couple of years ago. A very sharp scent. I hope it grows taller before it grows any wider!

Korean Lilac

I can't remember the name of this pretty flowering shrub, but it blooms well although there is no scent.


The weigela has only just come into bloom this week. A delicate pink/white bloom.


Four ... Ferns!

My ferns come back bigger and fuller each year. I love the smell of ferns, and these beauties are beside my patio and around the little pond. The sun looks so nice on them in the morning. When it gets really hot and dry in the summertime I have to water them a bit and the tops of the fronds get a bit burnt.


This year I found some Japanese ferns at my gardening centre. I couldn't resist. I have wanted one of these for a long time. I may have bit off more than I can chew with this monster though. It's called "Godzilla" and is expected to grow up to 3 feet and 4 - 6 feet wide! We'll see what happens. I don't have a lot of shade for the ferns, so squeezed it in with my other ferns alongside the house. It looks great now that I've got it into the soil ... it was pretty sad looking when I brought it home.



Five ... Miscellaneous!

Bleeding Hearts

Bleeding Hearts

Bleeding Hearts

Solomon's Seal

Solomon's Seal

New "Blue Hawaii" hostas :)

Clematis just unfurling this morning

Potted Pansies
Have a great weekend ;)

26 comments:

  1. Love Irises, but I don't have a lot of luck with them, as for Lilacs, I love them, but they won't bloom here. Your flowers look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful looking flowers, I wish we were able to smell the lilacs they certainly look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have moved iris before and some varieties seem to be a bit churlish and won't flower for a year or two but then come back with a vengeance when they are ready x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty. I've started adding iris to the garden over the last year. They seem to have more flowers this year so perhaps they need time to settle in x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos of your garden. I love this time of year when everything is blooming and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so beautiful! Your garden is like an dream...lovely!
    Have a happy weekend and take care.
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful garden, Wendy! You have so many beautiful flowers blooming, they must make you smile a lot :)

    -Soma xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful to see what is growing in your garden, so many really beautiful plants and flowers! You must really enjoy it at this time of year! I am sorry that I haven't been in touch, as you have read it has been a difficult time. I will e-mail, I really will!, as soon as I get the tax meeting done with! Thank you for your support of Five On Friday, I so appreciate it!!! Have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. All looks so pretty . Thanks for sharing , Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I've always wished I had a green thumb. I can't ever seem to grow anything like that. It's wonderful. I know you enjoy them very much.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  11. The iris is such an elegant, haughty flower. I wonder how it gets along with your other blooms.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful every single one. What a marvel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the flowers of Ontario! So many beautiful blooms, most of which I could never grow in our hot climate. Yay for lilacs, they are wonderful. and Yay for pansies which are so tough even I can grow those.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden is looking lovely! I just love columbines and have loads that are self seeded. I also have a variegated Solomon's Seal but it gets swamped by other plants, including a fern... by the way my ferns self seed around the place too! And just get bigger and bigger. I love that giant one that you bought!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beautiful blooms from your garden. I hope the Iris flowers again next year. They probably just need time to settle down.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a lot of plants in bloom there Wendy. I love the new Iris in purple and yellow. A beautiful colour combination! Our lilac that I bought last year was eaten off by the deer so it is struggling to grow and doesn't have any blooms this year. So disappointing. I may have to fence it off to protect it. Your Japanese lilac is nice and drapey (is that a word? lol). I like your turquoise garden sculpture bird. It is really neat. Enjoy the weekend. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great time of year in the garden and I'm sure your mother's irises will come back after the roots establish. I have been enjoying the perfume of lilacs wafting up from under the kitchen window and look forward to peonies opening next.
    I like the Blue Hawaii hosta, I picked up Beach Boy last year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your garden flowers are beautiful, Wendy! I don't have much of a green thumb so I always enjoy viewing other bloggers' pretty blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely garden. The irises are gorgeous!
    I am following along now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Morning My Green Thumb Friend and master gardener!
    Your garden is beautiful and has all of my favorite flowers and plants in it.
    This is the garden I grew up with and I can clearly see my Mother nurturing it, just as you do yours.
    Do you know that hardly any of these plants with flourish here in Texas. They might grow, but thriving is another topic. I can clearly see that Ontario is the place to be in the Spring, Summer and Fall!
    I can nearly smell the Lilacs now, I think that is my favorite scent in the world!
    Enjoyed your visit-wish you lived nearby and could join us at the Art Retreat:)
    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel as if I've just had a tour through a botanical center. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have some beautiful plants in your garden! Lilacs are so beautifully fragrant - I never tire of seeing them or smelling them. They last such a short time, though. Beautiful iris colours in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So nice to have a little tour of your gardens, Wendy! Everything looks so beautiful! It's wonderful that you have your Mom's iris - I do hope they continue to thrive for you. I love the weigela - I think I need one of those! The pink and white bleeding heart looks so pretty together. Don't you just love this time of year? Hope the rest of your week is good. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello, gorgeous collection of blooms and images. The bleeding hearts are a favorite of mine but I also love the irises. Thanks for the lovely tour. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It all looks just gorgeous ! Love the bleeding hearts... Have a nice week !
    Gail x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...