Saturday, April 04, 2015

Easter Birds' Nest Treats

One year at Easter many moons ago, I found a recipe for birds' nests made with chow mein noodles mixed with a hot, gooey peanut butter mixture. I started making them for our family's Good Friday hikes, and handed them out to all the nieces and nephews for dessert with our lunch which we ate on the trail. They were fun to make with my own two kids, and it became a tradition for me to bring the birds' nests on our hikes each year.



As the years went by, there were fewer and fewer of us going on the Good Friday hikes. When the kids were no longer joining us, I stopped making the birds nests. My daughter came home for the Easter weekend from university and texted me earlier this week asking "are you making the birds nests for Easter?!" Well, I couldn't disappoint her, could I? So an old tradition was revisited this weekend. My sister and I were the only two who went on our Good Friday hike this year (there used to be 20 of us on the trail). When we stopped along the trail to have our lunch, she asked "so no birds nests anymore?". And I had to admit I hadn't made any for our hike, but that I was planning to make them when we got back home at my daughter's request. These are full of sugar and chocolate and peanut butter ... but fun to make and fun to serve to kids (no matter how old).

______________________________________________________

Birds' Nests

1/4 cup butter
4 cups mini marshmallows
1/4 peanut butter
1/4 chocolate chips
4-1/2 cups chow mein noodles
candy-coated chocolate eggs (I use Cadbury's)

Melt butter with the marshmallows in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Heat and stir until smooth. Add peanut butter and chocolate chips and stir until all melted and mixed together. Remove from heat and add chow mein noodles. Mix until noodles are thoroughly coated. With buttered fingers shape roughly into nests and set them on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper. Fill nests with about 3 or 4 chocolate eggs (or other egg shapes such as jelly beans). 


Allow to cool before eating. Makes about 20 nests, depending on size. Enjoy!



Thanks for dropping by today!

Wendy

13 comments:

  1. Yummy spring nest treats! I made a chocolate version of these one year and they were so sweet, I haven't made them since. I have a feeling you had better bring back your tradition of making them for the family again Wendy. :-)
    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made birds nest for ages, should start again for the grandkids. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea, an edible nest.. I like that your family takes a Good Friday hike.. Have a great weekend and Happy Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. Have a Happy Easter and enjoy your nests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. too sweet-Happy Easter-good to be able to keep tradtions alive

    ReplyDelete
  6. So making these Wendy! They look delicious!!! I am pinning them right now!!! And a very Happy Easter to you and your family!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy esses ninhos são simplesmente apaixonantes.
    Feliz Páscoa e uma excelente semana!


    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are really sweet birds nests! A sugar high for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beyond cute and yummy looking ~ what a lovely tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a deliciously clever idea! I never thought of using chow mein noodles for a sweet treat. These yummy birds' nest treats are definitely best shared with family and friends!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, it's nice to know when you've stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...