So I did get the chairs for my daughter all finished up and carted away to her new university home. This is what they looked like before:
A rather awful combination of oak veneer plywood pared with a stale cigarette smoke odour.
I sanded the life out of these chairs, although it apparently wasn't required. One good thing about the sanding, however, is that it took away the cigarette smell. Cody thinks I did a darned good job on them ;)
|Good job Wendy!|
My husband took apart all the chairs and glued them all back together again to be sure they were sturdy ... and they are very sturdy. He unscrewed all the smelly padded seats, and I ripped off the disintegrating fabric and put the foam padding into a tub of hot water to soak for a few hours, and then washed them to a new freshness they hadn't had in years.
So now the big reveal!!
Two coats of bright white paint, and new fabric for the seats all stapled in place again. I'm quite pleased with the results! I always admire what great changes people make in furniture on different blog sites, and I was so happy to finally be able to try it myself! A very satisfying endeavor.
Four chairs came from the creepy house. Three identical, one with arms, and then one odd-ball that I picked up at the thrift store.
|Four of the five chairs.|
I made a padded cushion with ties for the odd-ball chair with the same fabric, so it ties in really nicely with the other chairs (sorry no picture of that cushion).
The chairs looked so nice sitting in my garden, that I hated to give them away! Even this pretty red dragonfly thought they were something special.
I spent today driving my daughter up to her new place and getting the very last of her things in place. She's happy to be living in her "own house" with four of her best friends from high school. I hope they remain friends after living together for a year ;)
Thanks for stopping by!