She's a finished!!
I finally got the finishing details all sorted out on my daughter's zig-zag cushion. I had to figure it out on my own though as the pattern only suggested that you sew the entire cushion cover closed over the cushion form. That would've been the easiest thing to do. However, I wanted my daughter to be able to remove the cover easily for a wash every so often, so I opted for a button closure. I had run out of the turquoise, pink & green yarns, so I couldn't make the strips any longer than they are. I decided to knit a band all around the bottom with yarn-overs for button holes (I do know how to make nice neat button holes, but I didn't feel like getting all fussy about this as I'm fed up with it now!).
Since I've collected all these pretty vintage buttons for the longest time, I chose all different buttons. I had all the colours except the hot pink.
Aren't they nice?
When I showed my daughter, the first thing she said was "I like the buttons!". And here I didn't think she'd hardly notice them ... yeah!
It was very cloudy and rainy today, so I couldn't take photos outside, and the only good light was in the front window. I still want to take a photo of it on my daughter's bed with the quilt to see how it looks, but I'll have to wait till it's sunny again.
I'm glad this cushion cover is finally finished. It was a lot of work (for me!), although I'm sure a more experienced knitter could've whipped this up in a couple of days. After numerous changes to the pattern and the sewing up of this cushion, I wonder at what point do you call a pattern "re-do" your own? The only thing I kept from the original pattern was the zig-zag concept. I found the pattern lacking and a bit sneaky. It was written in a children's book, but the written pattern didn't seem to match the photo in the book. The increases & decreases looked different, and they could not have used the suggested whip stitch to connect the strips as I tried to do it that way but it looked horrendous! I am very happy with the way my cushion cover turned out, and would make this again ... I'll just have to write out my notes in good before I can't make out my scrawls!
While I was taking photos of the cushion, I spied the baby robin (American Robin) outside with one of his parents. See the adult listening for the worms underground. So glad the baby is still surviving.
(poor quality as they were taken through the window)
Nothing on the go for reading at the moment ... too busy gardening!
My earlier spring flowers ...
Aren't these collages cool!
And flowers now blooming in my backyard ...
Thanks for stopping by!
Linking up with: